Payment Options

We are able to accept cash, check, debit, or credit cards in payment for your vehicle. There is a $2.95 fee for a debit card or a 2.49% fee for credit cards. A prepaid card is treated as a credit card.

Renew Your Vehicle Online

You may use your credit card or an E-check to renew your vehicle online. There is a fee charged by the third-party provider who provides the website that processes your renewal. The fee is 3% for a credit card or $3 for an E-check. Renew your vehicle registration.

Avoid Fake DMV Websites

An increasing number of people have fallen victim to fake DMV websites. These websites illegally collect personal information, credit card numbers, and money while posing as a representative of the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles. Learn more.

Proof of Insurance

You must have current proof of insurance to register a vehicle, showing the vehicle VIN number, date of issue, and the month of expiration. If you don't have this card, have it faxed to us prior to your arrival. It sometimes takes 30+ minutes for some companies to get it to us. There is no requirement for proof of insurance on trailers, boats, or snowmobiles. Evidence of insurance may be provided in paper or electronic format. If provided electronically, you assume liability for the device. Nebraska law 60-387.01

What I Should Do if I Just Moved

  • Fax - New purchases 402-593-4360 (new purchase and titles window)
  • Fax - Renewals 402-593-4438 (renewals and refunds window)
  • Read our brochure (PDF)


If you sell, trade, wreck, or junk a vehicle, or terminate a lease; keep your pink registration and plates. Failure to bring in the registration and plates will result in a reduction in your refund. Refunds must be issued within 60 days of title transfer. If sold in the month prior to registration expiration, there is no refund. Bring in your plates (one or both) and registration to obtain a refund. If you move to another state and register your vehicle there, you may also receive a refund. Send the Nebraska plates (one or both) and registration along with a copy of your new state registration for a refund. Please remit these items to:
Sarpy County Treasurer
1210 Golden Gate Drive
Papillion NE 68046

Sales Tax

In the city limits of Bellevue, Gretna, and Springfield, the sales tax is 7%. In the Cities of Papillion and La Vista, the sales tax is 7 1/2%. It is 5 ½% in the rest of the county. Sales tax is charged on the purchase price minus trade-in(s) and rebates. Maintenance agreements, add ons, delivery charges, improvements, extended warranties, and documentation fees are also subject to sales tax.


If you purchase a vehicle, pay the sales tax within 30 days (not one month) or expect to pay a late fee ($5 plus interest). You may pay the sales tax only without registering or titling the car. You may not register the car without paying all the taxes and fees due.


The Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles issues handicap placards, which hang in your vehicle window. You can turn in the necessary paperwork at your nearest city hall or the Sarpy County Clerk's Office. Once the paperwork is submitted, the Nebraska DMV typically mails the cards within 5 to 10 business days.

Handicap plates are also issued by the Nebraska Department of Motor Vehicles and get delivered to the Treasurer's Office. After the paperwork is received by the Nebraska DMV, the turnaround time is about 4 to 6 weeks. A doctor's certification form must be filled out and submitted to the state for approval in either case, prior to receiving the placard or plates. Forms may be viewed online.

Bill of Sale

It is a good idea to use a bill of sale when buying or selling a vehicle. It provides evidence that a transfer of ownership has taken place. The following link will provide you with a courtesy Bill Of Sale (PDF) provided by DMV. This specific bill of sale does not have to be used and does not have to be notarized. Of course, having it notarized provides evidence that the signatures are valid. In any case, we require the buyer to provide a bill of sale, signed by the seller, prior to registering a vehicle. You can also obtain a Nebraska Form 6 sales and use tax form from any county treasurer which can be used instead of a bill of sale. In the event that the transaction is suspect, we reserve the right to require a notarized bill of sale prior to registration.