Juvenile Justice Center

JJC1About the JJC

The Patrick J. Thomas Juvenile Justice Center is a 30-bed, staff-secure housing center for juveniles. The center includes an educational center, youth assessment center, juvenile court suite, visitation area, alternative school, as well as administrative offices. An intake and booking process is conducted by the Juvenile Probation Office, which determines the involvement needed by the courts and possible detention. A screening includes mental health issues, substance abuse, suicide risk, strength-based youth assessment and strength-based parent or caregiver assessment. The court can direct further evaluations be conducted for mental health issues, personality assessment, home study and family assessment, educational needs, trauma review, psychiatric evaluation, psychological testing, physical health and lab assessments.

An evening reporting center is available for juveniles who are involved in the juvenile court system to report for daily supervision. The reporting center program includes tutors, alcohol abuse counseling, parenting classes and moral recognition therapy.

In addition, an alternative education program is available for juveniles who have been expelled from school and who are currently involved in the juvenile court system. A court-ordered program called the Sarpy County Educational Program (SCEP) is available to them during normal school hours.

Juveniles may be placed under a structured supervision program called C.A.R.E. (Children at Risk Education Program). C.A.R.E. is a home-based electronic monitoring system, which uses radio frequencies and global positioning systems (GPS) to assist staff members who monitor the activities of youths on the program.

Visiting Information

Visiting hours are 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. Visits may be scheduled up to one week in advance. Please arrive 15 minutes early for check-in. Visitors must provide a picture identification in the form of either a valid driver's license or learner's permit, or state ID, or military ID, or school ID or employment ID. If visiting a spouse, a marriage certificate will be required in addition to the picture identification.