ARPA [American Rescue Plan Act]
On March 11, 2021, the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) was signed into law. ARPA is a $1.9 trillion package that includes direct relief to states, counties, cities, and towns as well as public utilities, libraries, and transit agencies. ARPA establishes the State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds (SLFRF) program, adding several sections to Title VI of the Social Security Act. This program provides $65.1 billion to counties in the U.S., allocated based on population. Sarpy County will receive a total of $36.31m, one-half of which was received in May, 2021.
ARPA Guidance and Usage
- U.S. Department of Treasury Coronavirus State & Local Fiscal Recovery Funds (SLFRF) website
- National Association of Counties SLFRF Resources
SLFRF funds can be used for eligible costs through December 31, 2026, as long as the obligation is incurred by December 31, 2024. A Sarpy County ARPA Task Force has been formed to 1) Establish Priorities; 2) Review Funding Requests; and 3) Recommend use of ARPA funds.
The Sarpy County ARPA Task Force has adopted the GFOA's Guiding Principles for use of ARPA funds, as shown below:
- ARPA funds are non-recurring, so their use should be applied primarily to non-recurring expenditures.
- Care should be taken to avoid creating new programs or add-ons to existing programs that require an ongoing financial commitment.
- Investment in critical infrastructure is a particularly well suited use of ARPA funds.
Additional information will be provided on the priorities and recommended uses of ARPA funds, as the work of the Task Force progresses. If you have questions, please e-mail the Sarpy County ARPA Task Force at ARPA@sarpy.gov.
- 11-2-2021 Update to Board of Commissioners
- 12-14-2021 Briefing to Board of Commissioners & Phase 1 Funding Recommendation
- 03-01-2022 Briefing to Board of Commissioners & Phase 2 Funding Recommendations
- 06-14-2022 Briefing to Board of Commissioners & Phase 3 Funding Recommendations
- 08-30-2022 Briefing to Board of Commissioners & Phase 4 Funding Recommendations
- 09-15-2022 Presentation to Sarpy Chamber 2022 Economic Outlook