News Flash

Press Releases

Posted on: August 30, 2022

Sarpy County approves budget with 4% property tax levy reduction

Entrance to Sarpy County Courthouse's Administration Wing

Sarpy County on Tuesday approved a Fiscal Year 2023 budget that reduces the county property tax levy by 4% while prioritizing several key initiatives. Under this budget, the county levy is 28.496 cents per $100 valuation, making it Sarpy County’s lowest levy since at least 1985.

“This budget focuses on funding critical projects like the new Correctional Center and expanding our county roadways, while also taking action where we can on property taxes and lowering our mil levy,” said Don Kelly, Chair of the Sarpy County Board of Commissioners. “We as a board are proud this budget reduces our levy, especially as property valuations rise across our growing county.”

The $289 million budget strengthens the county’s budget reserves and includes the hiring of 33 new employees, mostly to staff the Sarpy County Correctional Center set to open in 2023.

Major projects funded in this budget include:

  • $84.8 million for road projects, which includes $59 million from a 2022 highway allocation pledge bond
  • $22.3 million for American Rescue Plan Act funded projects
  • $8.8 in to complete the Correctional Center

Under this budget, a Sarpy County resident with a home valued at $200,000 will pay $569.92 annually, or just over $47 per month, for all county services. Those services include a 24-hour, 365-day-a-year 911 center; a Sheriff's Department with deputies committed to keeping Sarpy County safe; and a Public Works Department that plows and maintains thousands of lane miles of roads.

Sarpy County receives only 12% of all property taxes collected in the county. The remaining 88% goes to public schools, cities, SIDs, the Papio-Missouri River NRD, and other taxing entities.

See the resolution that adopts the Sarpy County FY 2023 Budget here.

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Press Releases

Sarpy County Offices Closed Feb. 19

Posted on: February 14, 2024
Graphic that says public notice

Sarpy Facebook Pages Restored

Posted on: February 9, 2024 | Last Modified on: June 2, 2021
Sarpy Logo

Sarpy County Thanks Union Omaha for Werner Park Partnership

Posted on: January 26, 2024 | Last Modified on: June 2, 2021
1102 Building exterior

Planned Phone Update at 1102 Building

Posted on: January 3, 2024

Sarpy County Offices Closed Jan. 1

Posted on: December 29, 2023
Christmas 1

County Offices Closed Dec. 25

Posted on: December 18, 2023
CONNECTSARPY traffic update graphic

192nd and Giles is Open to Traffic

Posted on: November 28, 2023
Graphic that says public notice

Inmate Death Reported

Posted on: November 25, 2023
TRAFFIC NOTICE

Road Work to Resume on 156th Street

Posted on: September 28, 2023
New Sarpy County Correctional Center exterior

New Sarpy Correctional Center Open

Posted on: September 19, 2023
Road Work Notice

One-lane traffic on 84th starting Sept. 11

Posted on: September 8, 2023
Sarpy Logo

911 Back in Service in Sarpy County

Posted on: August 31, 2023
CONNECTSARPY traffic update graphic

2 Road Segments Reopen in West Sarpy

Posted on: August 4, 2023
Sarpy County Offices are closed July 4, 2023, in observance of Independence Day

Sarpy County Offices Closed July 4

Posted on: June 30, 2023
Siren from Emergency Management

2022 Annual Report: Helping Those In Need

Posted on: December 29, 2022
Sarpy Logo

2022 Annual Report: Lowering the Tax Rate

Posted on: December 28, 2022