The Sarpy County Board’s conscientious and conservative approach to finance slashed the county property tax levy by 4% for fiscal year 2023, making it the county’s lowest levy since at least 1985.
The new low rate is part of the budget the board passed in 2022. Among other things, The $289 million budget:
- strengthens the county’s budget reserves
- improves roadways with a $84.8 investment
- supports major projects, including $8.8 million to complete the Sarpy County Correctional Facility
- and funds important hiring initiatives, primarily to staff the new correctional center.
“With this budget, we focused on funding critical projects that will move the county forward in a fiscally responsible way,” said Don Kelly, Chair of the Sarpy County Board of Commissioners.
Under this budget, the county levy is 28.496 cents per $100 valuation.
“We as a board are pleased this budget took action on our tax rate, especially as property valuations rise across our growing county,” Commissioner David Klug said.
A Sarpy County resident with a home valued at $200,000 will pay $569.92 annually, or just over $47 per month, for all county services.
Those services include a 24-hour, 365-day-a-year 911 center; a Sheriff’s Department committed to keeping Sarpy County safe; a Public Works Department that plows and maintains thousands of lane miles of roads; a Treasurer’s Office where residents can register and title their vehicles in a timely manner; and much more.
Sarpy County receives only 12% of all property taxes collected in the county. The remaining 88% goes to schools, cities, SIDs and other taxing entities.
Check out more stories from the 2022 Sarpy County Annual Report.